Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

FINDING A JOB

Over the past 50 years I have worked for over 180; companies, or individuals. Most of my jobs have been in the driving field but I have done many other things as well, things that I was not qualified for but I took my training on the job.

To my recollection I never got one single job by; delivering, mailing, or faxing a résumé.

I did take one to an interview one time but the boss never got past my cover letter. That like most of my interviews was without an appointment. I just dropped in.

Other than one or two jobs that were found through friends, most of my jobs were acquired by drop in, unannounced. A few of the interviews were arranged over the phone. And one or two of the interviews were done over the phone.

Finding a job is just that simple.

Pick a place you would like to work, and phone them or drop in. If they ask you to leave a resume, ask them if they have an immediate opening. If they are not currently hiring, why leave a resume, you want a job today.

90% of the time when I apply for a job I am asked, `when can you start’?

My answer is always, `Now’!

And that is usually when I start, now, or the next morning.

Arriving at a potential job site, early in the morning, dressed for the type of work you wish to do, and having the attitude of `ready to work’ will usually get you the job, if there is an opening.

Obviously if there is no opening you won’t get hired, in which case you move on to the next business, along the street, or on your list.

One of the things I have always hated is commuting. So I try to find a job near where I live.

Shortly after my fourth wife came to Canada, she wanted to find a job. As she was unable to speak English, she would have found commuting rather difficult, I took her job hunting close to where we lived.

Monday morning, I took her to the first business across the street. I had no idea who they were, or what they did. We simply walked into the reception area and I explained to the girl at the desk that my wife couldn’t speak English, and had no work experience, but she was looking for employment.

We were told that they were not hiring so we went to the next office in the same building, with the same result. From office to office and building to building we spent about 2 hours. We did the same thing the next morning, and working farther afield, the next morning.

Wednesday afternoon, we received a phone call from a place we had called on that morning and my wife started work Thursday morning.

Finding a job is just a matter of knocking on doors, or dialing the phone. `Let your fingers do the walking’.

I was visiting friends in Coquitlam, sleeping on their couch. They wanted me to go to the pub with them one morning and I said, "No, I’m going to get a job". They didn’t believe me but left me behind with the phone and yellow pages.

After less than an hour of phone calls, I went to an interview, and started work that evening.

END

PS: One of the hardest things about finding a job is getting past the receptionist. They have been trained to ask for résumés and usually have no idea if the company is actually hiring.

By phone or in person I try to talk to; a dispatcher, a foreman, or someone who actually knows what the employee situation is and preferably someone who has the power to hire or can lead you directly to that person.

I was once hired by the bookkeeper of a company as the boss was absent. After two weeks of work I was asked to fill out an application form because they didn’t know who to make the cheque out to.

Never be afraid to ask for a job. The worst that can happen is they will say `No’.

No comments: